< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-12-2007 01:21 AM

Posted by:
Leo

Find more posts by Leo

Two questions on simultaneous downloads:

1. I set "Max Simultaneous Downloads" to 100 (and tried 20, 200, restarting the computer, etc.), yet the actual number of files listed "In Progress" still stays at 10. Am I missing something?

2. It has been mentioned on this forum previously, but I haven't seen a resolution: I have 3 sites configured, with a limit of 1 connection to each.
Now remember, I'm limited to 10 "in progress" files at a time (see above).
If I load 30 files in the queue, 10 from each of my 3 sites, only 1 file will actually start downloading, until the other 9 files from that site finish.
I know I can move files up and down/sort them, but I keep forgetting to do that and it reduces the satisfaction from having a download manager significantly...

Thanks!

07-12-2007 07:18 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

quote:
1. I set "Max Simultaneous Downloads" to 100 (and tried 20, 200, restarting the computer, etc.), yet the actual number of files listed "In Progress" still stays at 10. Am I missing something?

The number of actually started downloads depends first on the available bandwidth and next on the number of segments of each download. Number of segments multiplied by the number of started downloads means that you need more bandwidth available. See the aggregate speed in KB/s and compare it to your download bandwidth (i.e. 128 KB/s means 1024 Kbps). Some of the started downloads just can't connect to the remote server due to lack of available bandwidth. To avoid such problem, first, verify that you have set the "Max Simultaneous Downloads" option to 2-4 and "Default number of segments" option to 3-4. iGetter will download faster and use less resources if you decrease the simultaneous downloads. For example on 1024 Kbps DSL, 2 simultaneous downloads with 4 segments will normally reach 128 KB/s.

quote:
2. It has been mentioned on this forum previously, but I haven't seen a resolution: I have 3 sites configured, with a limit of 1 connection to each...If I load 30 files in the queue, 10 from each of my 3 sites, only 1 file will actually start downloading, until the other 9 files from that site finish.

The iGetter Site Manager logic just checks if some segment exceeds a given site entry limit. Finally all downloads finish, but it would be better if unused connections may be used by other downloads. We plan to improve this logic in the next versions of iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply