firefox can no longer download without iGetter
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-15-2007 11:10 PM

Posted by:
Moebius

Find more posts by Moebius

ever since installing the iGetter trial I can no longer download things in firefox without it. I only want to use iGetter for big files, but I don't want it running all the time and for 90% of my downloads I don't need it. So I've set it not to integrate with browers, but not whenever I try to download a file in firefox by just clicking on it, it just sits loading forever and say "Transferring data from somesite.com", never adding the file to the download box. I have to actually say Save File As to add it to the download box and then press the back button before the download will actually start. I also installed FlashGot at around the same time as iGetter, but I've since removed that extension.

07-15-2007 11:16 PM

Posted by:
Moebius

And iGetter does correctly catch the file if I reenable integration with the browser, but firefox no longer knows how to use its own downloader.

07-16-2007 05:29 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Moebius,
It seems that you haven't restarted Firefox after turning off the iGetter integration. Also check for multiple installations of iGetter or Firefox and remove the redundant copies. You may test Firefox if it loads the iGetter plug-in writing "about:plugins" in the address bar.

In your case the best choice is the FlashGot extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220). When you install it turn off the iGetter "Integrate with Internet browsers" Tools menu function. FlashGot will add an option to download the file with iGetter on the Firefox "Save As" dialog.

Regards,
iGetter Support

07-26-2007 03:59 AM

Posted by:
Moebius

This has been a chronic problem and I've restarted firefox many times. I check the about:plugins page and didn't see any mention of igetter or flashgot. I downloaded the new development release of firefox 3 and I have the same problem there.

07-26-2007 07:07 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Moebius,
If iGetter is not listed in the Firefox "about:plugins" page then iGetter has nothing to do with the Firefox downloading at all. It seems that you need to delete your Firefox profile folder along with any traces of Firefox on your system and then try to install it again.

You can try to run Firefox in Safe Mode (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode) with all extensions and plugins turned off and see if the problem persists.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply