Imported links always "broken"
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

10-16-2007 07:32 AM

Posted by:
R. Bacon

Find more posts by R. Bacon

I am currently trying to use iGetter to download a series of (public domain) pics. Each file of course has an individual download address, and there are over 200 in all. Individually added addresses download fine, but whenever I import (from an rtf format file) the list as a whole and begin downloading, each link is instanly listed as "broken". This problem occurs consistently regardless of the length of the imported list, be it the full 200 odd or just five. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I do not wish to have to type "command v" two hundred times...

10-16-2007 07:53 AM

Posted by:
R. Bacon

Find more posts by R. Bacon

Addendum to my first post...On closer inspection I discovered that the reason that each imported link became "broken" was that for some reason when each line is imported, an extra character is added to the end of the address, either "\" or "}". I checked for any hidden characters buried in the list, but there was nothing other than a standard carriage return charcter. Also the extra character is only added when importing from a file, never when copied and pasted individually. This would all seem to imply that iGetter is somehow adding the extra character during importation. The question then becomes, how to stop this. Additionally, for some reason it does not import the first line of the list, only the second through final lines.

10-16-2007 05:40 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

The extra characters are included in the RTF format which you don't see in the editor. You should save URLs in plain txt format (set the TextEdit "New Document Format" option to "Plain Text" http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106212).

If you need a good and free text editor try TextWrangler:
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.shtml

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply