Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter Classic
How can I stop automatic dld from browser?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

11-16-2001 05:04 PM

Posted by:
grif

Find more posts by grif

Now I'm using v1.5, every time I click to download iGetter automatically grabs it. I've unclicked all the options in iGetter preferences, but it still happens.

How can I stop it?

11-16-2001 09:11 PM

Posted by:
the_man_in_the_moon

Find more posts by the_man_in_the_moon

seems to be a wee bit buggy, this facility.

On my system, unchecking the box just brings up errors; loading the plug-in.

What you need to do is move the iGetter plug-in out of the "Internet Plug-Ins Folder" in your system folder, then restart iGetter and your browser.

Should work now.

;o]>

11-16-2001 09:18 PM

Posted by:
the_man_in_the_moon

I sould add..

iGetter (aka the iGetter) will re-install the plugin when it restarts, being such a helpful little app. So you'll probably want to delete/stuff the copy of the plug-in iGetter keeps in its "support" folder.

;o]>

11-16-2001 11:30 PM

Posted by:
grif

Find more posts by grif

thanks...but...

I tried what you said - but now I get the same result as you :- an error message saying iGetter couldn't grab the file.

I'm uninstalling iGetter until they sort this out!

11-17-2001 12:28 AM

Posted by:
the_man_in_the_moon

Hey! I tested it out between the first and second messeges!
Works for me (but I'm leaving the click-catching ON!) ymmv..

Are you sure you..

Deleted the plugin in the Internet plug-ins folder

AND

Deleted the plug-in from the iGetter support folder

AND

Unchecked the "watch for clicks in Internet Browser" checkbox

AND

Unchecked ALL the filetype checkboxes under that.

Phew!..

Only after ALL those steps are taken, will it work as you require.

(I dunno about netscape (which is now a bloated piece of s***e!) but there may be a plug-in there as well, who knows!)

There may also be a "ghost click-catcher" plug somewhere, so even after you uninstall iGetter, the ghost will still catch the clicks.. And what would it do with them?

iGetter is still the best download manager for the mac,
no matter what I say.

;o]>

11-17-2001 08:10 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Grif,
By default iGetter starts with the 'Watch for clicks in Internet Browsers' option switched on only for the file types listed in the Watch For preferences of iGetter.
If your browser is started, when you uncheck the 'Watch for clicks in Internet Browsers' option, the iGetter plug-in may not be disabled really. This is because the browsers load all registered plug-ins and refuse the access to them.

To disable iGetter plug-in from catching downloads in your browser you must first quit all Internet browsers and then remove manually the iGetter Plug-in placed in the home directory->Library->Internet Plug-Ins folder(for MacOS X) or System Folder->Internet Plug-ins(for MacOS).
(You will do the same if you first quit all Internet browsers and then uncheck (if it is unchecked you must check it and after confirming to uncheck it again)the 'Watch for clicks in Internet Browsers' option in the
Watch For preferences of iGetter.)

If the browser still want to start iGetter for downloading, you must view the browser preferences about the installed plug-ins. In the IE you can do that going to the 'Receiving Files' group->'File Helpers' panel. If iGetter plug-in is attached to some file type/MIME type (look for extensions defined in the Watch For preferences of iGetter like .zip,.sit,.hqx,.bin,.gz,.tgz) you can remove it with pushing 'Change' button. Then choose for the 'How to handle' pop-up menu other selection like 'View with browser' or 'Post-process with application'.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply